Monday, April 20, 2009

Kenmore Square Neon Citgo Sign


Remember when the Citgo sign was a distant second place in the neon contest along the Charles? Oh the Coca-Cola sign in Allston was truly breathtaking. And the White Fuel sign was no slouch either. Now the Citgo sign seems much the worse for wear, yet it still manages to retain much of its majesty. I love the look of it now, a little down on its luck maybe, but so gracefully combining the many mismatched colors of replacement tubes. It's like a quilt made of light. Humble folk art that evokes some of the most precious and sacred memories of us all. In miniature it would make a great headstone. For the love of God, would someone send me guitar part for this bass line?






4 comments:

Donna Lethal said...

Oh, those signs are beautiful!

Q Tontileo said...

I so wish I could have found video of them all.

Ray said...

Shell sign lives!
CITGO fixed, but not as fun.
I completely forgot about White Fuel.

Thanks!

Larry 007 said...

Tontileo, how can I contact you?
- Larry